Dorothy E. Whalen, D.D.S, P.C.
I have been fortunate to be in practice in New York for over 30 years. I truly enjoy my profession, especially knowing that I am able to help my patients achieve beautiful, healthy, confident smiles for a lifetime. I appreciate and respect the friendships I have built over the years with my patients and their families, and I am always happy to hear about my patients' successes even after they've completed their treatment with me. Dr. Whalen on Google+
From your first phone call, until your final appointment, I strive to deliver outstanding orthodontic care, and to create a positive orthodontic experience that will keep you smiling for many years to come. My staff and I are proud of our practice, and the reputation we have earned over the years, and we look forward to sharing in this wonderful life-changing experience with you.
- After only three years at St. John's University in New York (1968-1971), I was accepted into graduate school at Georgetown University.
- Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree - Georgetown University Dental School, 1975
- Certificate in Orthodontics - Columbia University College of Dental Medicine Division of Orthodontics, 1977
- Board certified by the American Board of Orthodontics, 1988; Recertified 2002
Continuing Education and Professional Associations
I believe in continuing education, and regularly participate in continuing education opportunities in order to stay current with the latest advances in orthodontics and to offer my patients the most up-to-date treatments. My involvement in the orthodontic community includes being a member of the:
- Former President of College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics - regularly attends annual sessions
- American Association of Orthodontists (member) - regularly annual sessions, and through this organization, I am able to teach classes to future generations of orthodontists preparing for board certification.
- Examiner for American Board of Orthodontist, Columbia University, Dept of Orthodontic, Montefiore Hospital Dept of Orthodontics
- Northeast Society of Orthodontists (President 2006-2007)
- Past President of the prestigious NewConn of Orthodontic Study Club- an orthodontic study club that hosts a biennial seminar and monthly information meetings.
- Invisalign continuing education courses
- Relegate to the American Association of Orthodontists (2001-2009)
- Guest Lecturer at NY University Dept of Orthodontics
Active Outside the Office
I love running, and I have competed in Triathlons for 11 years.. In 2008, I participated in an Ironman race, and placed fifth in my group. I enjoy playing golf and skiing. Volunteering is a big part of my life and I am an active member of the Long Island Mentoring Partnership. Through that organization, I've mentored the same young lady for nine years on a weekly basis.
My husband, Dr. Philip Bonanno, and I have two married sons. For over 25 years now, my husband and I have actively supported St. Christopher Ottilie Child and Family Services of New York, a wonderful organization supporting the children of our community.